We believe that women should have option to choose abortion. Today they can, thanks to the Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade decision in 1973. But even though access to abortion is legal, our right to it is far from safe. Anti-choice groups attack our right to choose at every opportunity.
Anti-choice people want to outlaw abortion, regardless of the woman's situation. They will stop at nothing to make it harder for women to access abortion. They even target the doctors who provide abortion care.
Anti-choice people use many of the following tactics to reach their goals:
- Violent tactics that intimidate doctors and patients
- Abortion bans that block legal abortion at certain points in pregnancy or that block safe abortion procedures
- Insurance coverage bans that make it more difficult for women to afford abortion care
- Unnecessary regulations that target abortion providers in order to shut them down
- Restrictions on low-income women's access to abortion and other health care
- Dangerous laws that jeopardize young women's health and safety
- "Crisis pregnancy centers" that intentionally mislead women
- "Personhood" measures that would ban abortion
- Distortions of science to instill fear
- Restrictions on women's access to RU 486
- Refusal clauses that deny women basic health services
We will always have to fight to keep abortion safe and legal. This means defeating attacks in Congress and in the states.
News & Updates
A new Massachusetts law will limit anti-choice harassment and intimidation that would otherwise take place outside reproductive health care facilities. It was created in response to the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in McCullen v. Coakley.
Only 4 in 10 members of Congress share our pro-choice values! Imagine all of the ways we could improve access to reproductive-health care if anti-choice politicians weren't running the show.